Question:

From Dayton, Ohio, USA:

My twelve year old son was diagnosed 2 1/2 years ago. Twice a year his doctor does a C-peptide test. The reference range is 0.5 - 2.0 ng/mL. He is not required to fast or make any other preparations for the test. Each time he falls in the normal range, about 0.83. What exactly does the test measure and what does falling below the normal range mean?

Answer:

C-peptide measurement is an indication of how much natural insulin your son's body is making. However, it only really means anything if the body is challenged with a glucose load. This would then indicate what sort of proportion of insulin requirement is being met naturally. About 10% of individuals with insulin dependent diabetes will go on producing some c-peptide indefinitely. I'm not clear why your doctor is measuring this regularly; ask him to explain.