I am a 41 year old diabetic. I was wondering if I could mix Lispro insulin (Humalog® brand) with Regular insulin, so I can get immediate high down and have a little longer effect on the food I just ate?

Eli Lilly has not yet competed formal studies evaluating the stability of mixtures of Regular and Lispro/Humalog, so they cannot yet state that there is no problem mixing these preparations in the same syringe. However, there was a small study published in abstract form by Burge, Castillo, and Schade in Supplement 1 of the journal Diabetes, Volume 43, page 156A called "An equimolar Mixture of LysPro Insulin Analog and Regular Insulin Improves Postprandial Glycemia in IDDM." This study compared blood sugar control using Humalog (Lispro) alone, Regular alone, and a combination of equal amounts of Regular and Humalog. According to this study, the combination of Regular and Humalog produced lower blood sugars after meals than Regular alone given 30 minutes before meals, and fewer low blood sugars after meals than Humalog alone. The authors postulate that a mixture of Regular and Humalog may actually be the ideal mixture for some people.

I am not aware of any other studies which evaluate mixing Regular and Lispro/Humalog. Most studies compare either all Humalog or all Regular. Theoretically, mixing Regular and Humalog in your situation is worth discussing with your physician. Although Eli Lilly recommends substituting equal amounts of Humalog for Regular, it has been my experience that some patients are extremely sensitive to the Humalog, and need less Humalog than Regular. If you and your physician do decide that this would be worth trying in your case, you may want to discuss slowly decreasing the Regular and substituting a slightly smaller amount of Lispro to determine how sensitive you are to the more rapid action of Lispro.

I have not been able to find any reports of problems mixing Regular and Humalog, but again, further evaluation is necessary for Eli Lilly to state that this mixture is "safe."