From America On-Line:

My son is 5 and was diagnosed at 2. We're finally giving doses larger than 1 unit for all injections (we use syringes), but accuracy and precision are still an issue because we want to reduce variation from all sources. Do you have any information on different brands of syringes, and on syringes versus pens versus jet injectors at doses of 1-2 units? We're considering switching to a pen. I know of only one independent study, published by Casela in Pediatrics, June 1993.

Let me start by saying that almost all of my patients use pens and I am a great fan of them. However, I have no doubt that pen devices are less accurate at very low volumes but that's not usually the issue for parents. They are more concerned about reassurance that the dose has been injected and the "tactile" feedback from a syringe is far better. In any case, at 5 years of age, I wouldn't be too concerned about a child being able to do his own injections--the main reason for brightly coloured "snazzy" pens. I think you first have to answer the question, "Why do you want to move to a pen just at the moment?"