Question:

From Massachusetts, USA:

Is Halloween the disaster for kids with diabetes that I think it would be?

One of my friends has been diagnosed recently, and is a chocolate junkie. I am looking for products and recipes that are legal for diabetics. I love to bake and I would like to know what is legal and what is not.

I happened to have the chance to flip through a cookbook by Joslin, titled something like "The Diabetics Gourmet Cookbook" and without reading too carefully, it looks like the basic rules are no more than one teaspoon (4 grams) sucrose (sugar) per serving if there is sugar in the recipe or substitute artificial sweetener or fructose, which as a product (I sort of know what it is chemically), I am unfamiliar with it.

Answer:

At our clinic, we give out a candy bar exchange list which lists the grams of carbohydrates in some of the more common "treats" and shows how they can be subsituted in an exchange or carb counting system. Using labels or reference books will provide the same information. Since there is so much candy after Halloween some parents will trade in X number of sweets for a prize (movie ticket, or toy).

For baking I also like the Joy of Snacks cookbook by Nancy Cooper. It does contain recipes with more than 4 grams of sugar which are "allowed" in the context of a healthy meal plan.

Trick or Treat!

MH