From America On-Line:

I understand that many children with diabetes present with rapid heart rates when they are experiencing rapid falling blood sugars or hypoglycemia. What is the normal range for a very active five year old, pre and post exercise? Is this one indicator, short of testing, that would alert us to a rapid change in his glucose?

Young children's pulse rates vary dramatically from around 70 to 90, up to as high as 150 with exercise. Because exercise and hypos often go together and both cause a rise in pulse rate, I wouldn't recommend using this as a marker of hypoglycaemia.