From Prodigy:

My son is 18. Been diagnosed since he was 13. Diet is not carefully monitored. He eats a lot of fast food and has stopped monitoring blood sugar as well. I can't keep up with his diet; I have a serious health problem of my own. Is there any literature I can give him, and camps that he can attend that would encourage him to get back on the path to proper diet and care?

This question was referred to several members of the Diabetes Team, who have each given an answer:

Answer from Michelle Hansen, the dietitian:

I find it's difficult to encourage anyone to make healthy changes by providing literature; I wish it was that simple. In this case your son is moving into adulthood and needs to take on his own diabetes management. If he is not there yet, I would suggest trying to get him to speak with a counselor (social worker, therapist, psychologist) of some sort that may help him work through his roadblocks to better self-management.

Answer from Jeff Hitchcock, the editor, and father of a child with diabetes:

There are summer camps for kids with diabetes throughout the US and Canada, as well as some in other countries. Most are geared towards younger kids and rely on the older teens to serve as counselors and role models. Camp is an extraordinarily positive experience for almost everyone involved and I highly recommend it. Check with your local American Diabetes Associate affiliate for the camp nearest you. They might have a program that would benefit your son.