My 12 year old daughter is concerned about her weight. She is presently eating about 100 carbohydrates per meal with several snacks as needed. Her doctor has told us that she has probably maxed as far as growing is concerned and we should try to maintain her weight where it is. About how many fat grams should we be trying to maintain at this point?

I would feel most comfortable if you had your daughter visit a Registered Dietitian to help develop an entire meal plan. Carbohydrates, proteins and fats all contribute calories and need to be balanced in the context of a healthy meal plan for a 12 year old.

[Editorial Comment: All children with diabetes deserve a Diabetes Team to help with problems like these. It's just impossible for any single physician to be able to do everything. WWQ]