Question:

From Ohio, USA:

Are mega-vitamin supplements helpful for kids or adults with Type 1 diabetes? I've seen claims of dramatically improved blood sugar levels by one mail-order firm that sells products costing US$4 per day. I would do anything to help my child, but wonder if this would be money well spent.

Answer:

There's no evidence that I'm aware of, that says that diabetes is caused by vitamin or other nutritional deficiencies, nor that supplements with mega-vitamins will improve the blood sugar.

A well-balanced meal plan should provide plenty of the vitamins and other trace nutrients that are needed for good health, growth, and development. And there's no evidence that using extra-large doses (called "megadoses") is any better than using routine replacement doses of vitamins for kids (or adults) with diabetes.

Spending money on these high-priced supplements is not worthwhile, in my opinion.

WWQ