In the evening, after my final insulin dose, I get so hungry. I know that I need to distract, but it is very difficult. Vegetables raise the morning sugar, so does pretzels. Any suggestions?

I'm not sure why most of the non-starchy vegetables would raise your blood sugar level in the morning unless your rebounding (blood glucose levels going low and then bouncing back up) or because of the Dawn Phenomena (insulin resistance caused by increased hormones released in the morning). You could have these things checked out with the help of your doctor. I also realize everyone has different responses to foods, when testing foods out it is important to keep everything else as consistent as possible.

Another suggestion would be to try popcorn in the evening. Theoretically, three cups of popcorn would raise your blood glucose levels the same as 1/2 cup juice, one cup milk, one small-medium apple or a slice of bread. The combination of popcorn and some noncaloric beverage may help fill you up without a lot of extra carbohydrates.

Good luck filling up,

[Editor's comment: Also, depending on the circumstances, it might be better to change insulin doses rather than adjust foods. WWQ]