From Canada:

I am requesting advice for a friend. Her 13 year old son, diagnosed 10 months ago, does not appear to be accepting his disease well. He cheats, doesn't do blood test when he should and couldn't care less about high blood glucoses. Example: the other day she caught him with a large bag of potato chips. There were only a few left. At first he told her that he spilled them, then he confessed and said he ate them. She had him test his blood glucose and he was 28 mmol [504 mg/dl]. He was not concerned.

While in the hospital after his diagnosis, he did have training but he was omitted from the education pertaining to complications from high blood glucoses. He has not had any other education since then. His Doctor is an endocrinologist, who is not overly concerned with his lack of responsibility.

My friend is at her wit's end. How should she deal with her son?

There is no excuse for not having education about diabetes. He needs to go to a children's diabetes program, and decide with the Diabetes Team there about his treatment plan. He's old enough to decide what he wants his treatment plan to be.