Question:

From Irvine, California, USA:

I found a book on exchanges, portion sizes, etc. that I can understand, follow, etc. However, it brought up a question: If legumes are starches and nuts are fats, what does a vegetarian diabetic do about the meat exchange?

Answer:

I follow several individuals who have diabetes and follow a vegetarian meal plan and do quite well. First, it is important to assess the adequacy of protein in the meal plan. As you pointed out, several sources of protein may contain carbohydrate, such as legumes, which need to be calculated into their carbohydrate totals. If you can get your hands on a Vegetarian Food Guide Pyramid this may help categorize foods more appropriately for the vegetarian.

MH