Question:

I have Type 1 diabetes, I am male, 32 years old, I was diagnosed when I was 10, my diet is OK'ish. My question: I enjoy a drink every now and then maybe twice a week. I drink lager beer, medium in strength.

Q1. How much carbohydrate is in a pint of lager?

Q2. What are the negative issues for diabetics who drink alcohol?

Q3. Are there any positive ones?

Answer:

Q1: A pint of beer will contain approximately 15-30 grams of carbohydrate which can vary depending on the type of beer (lager may be a bit higher).

Q2: The major negative issue for individuals with diabetes is the potential for alcohol to contribute to low blood glucose levels and extra weight gain (especially an issue for Type 2).

Q3: Some research suggests cardiovascular benefits from alcohol, especially wine, but as yet it is not recommended for this purpose since there are other health risks associated with consumption.

MH