Question:

From Iowa, USA:

I was wondering if there were any receipes for desserts, cookies, candy, etc. I'm taking a Foods class and I need to make a receipe box for things I can eat. Most of the time it's okay but when they do sweets I need a substitute and I'd prefer to do something similar.

Answer:

There are several ways to approach your situation. First, look at the recipes being used in your class and calculate the amount of carbohydrate, protein and fat they supply. (A computer program can be helpful for this.) Second, substitute in some sweeteners that are lower in carbohydrate than sugar. (You can do this for fat as well.)

For additional help with these tasks you can refer to a cookbook put out by the Children's Diabetes Foundation at Denver, 777 Grant Street, Suite 302, Denver, CO 80203. The price is about US$10.00. In the front of this cookbook is a "Low Calorie Sweeteners, Table of Equivalency" that I put together awhile back. The next page gives tips on how to reduce fat in recipes. The rest of the cookbook contains recipes developed mainly by parents with children with diabetes. Another cookbook I like is The Joy of Snacks by Nancy Cooper; it contains Exchange/carbohydrate information as well as recipe modification suggestions.

MH