Question:

From Dayton, Ohio, USA:

Our son is 12 years old and has been diabetic just over 2 1/2 years. He injects both NPH and Regular insulin in his morning, but only needs Regular (2-6 units) at dinner. Is it unusual to not need NPH at night?

Answer:

Yes, I think it is a little unusual for a 12 year old with diabetes for over 2 years not to need NPH (isophane) insulin at night. However, as I often tell parents, "your child hasn't read the textbooks." Whatever insulin regimen works is the correct one. I expect that the situation will change with puberty.