Question:

My 2 year old niece has recently been diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. This is the first case in both family lines. All the information I have seencase in both family lines. All the information I have seen states that Type 1 diabetes is hereditary. Is there a chromosome check that can verify Type 1 diabetes, or can this be a mis-diagnosis due to low blood sugar and a bladder infection?

Answer:

Most new onset cases of Type 1 diabetes have no first degree relative with the same condition so that the onset in your niece is not surprising. Given that she indeed has diabetes, it is exceedingly unlikely that it is any variant other than Type 1. There are, it is true, some very rare forms of 'mitochondrial diabetes' which require special laboratory facilities to diagnose and even then afford no special insights into treatment. The simplest way of setting your mind at ease about the diagnosis would be to ask her physician to have an 'antibody' test done. Her diabetes doctor should be able to tell you how to get this done. It is very improbable indeed that a combination of low blood sugars and a urinary tract infection could be misinterpreted as diabetes.

DO'B