From America On-Line:

I am a 39 year old male diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes for almost exactly 4 years now and my question has to do with weight control. Ever since being diagnosed with this disease I have found it difficult to keep weight on. Am I the only person with this problem? I am 6'0" tall and used to weigh 183 pounds; now I tip the scales at about 155 pounds. My doctor and diabetic educators don't seem too concerned because my weight loss was very slow (1-2 pounds per month). Any information or suggestions would be appreciated. I don't feel comfortable being as thin as I am.

I am not sure that you have a problem. The reference weight from the Metropolitan Life Insurance tables is 162 lbs. Another rough calculation is to take a weight of 105 lbs. for five feet and add 6 lbs. per inch, which would give 177 pounds and the acceptable +/- 10% giving a normal range, i.e., a lower weight of 159 pounds.

If your diabetes is in good control, and you are exercising and feeling well, I would not feel you had to take any steps to increase your weight. Next time you go to the clinic, however, you should take in a three day diet record and ask the nutritionist to check that it meets the RDA's (recommended dietary allowances).