Question:

From Kentucky, USA:

Is there a device that is in the prototype stage that both monitors diabetes and also injects insulin if the reading is at a certain level?

Answer:

As you are probably aware, there's been lots of activity recently to try to develop a device to measure blood sugar without a finger stick.

But you're asking for a device that would also be capable of analyzing the sugar level, and deciding how much insulin should be given, which is a much more complicated concept. It would need some sort of computer, and a software program called an "algorithm," to decide when, and how much, insulin to give.

Interestingly, there has been such a device available since the 1980's, if you've got a spare US$40,000 or so and a full-time technician to baby-sit the device: it was called the Biostator. Obviously, it never really did too much, except in research studies or other short-term uses like in the operating room. (Actually, it turned out to be cheaper to have a nurse check fingerstick blood sugar tests every few minutes, and change the rate of insulin delivery based on algorithms that he/she had written out, rather than trusting the machine. I once had a almost-new Biostattor donated to me, and lost it. I really haven't missed it at all.) There are currently several companies working on improved, miniaturized, long-term-use versions of these devices: Let's hope they're simpler to use!

Actually, if you think about the complexity (and the cost) of these devices, the concept of using diabetes education to create a well-trained patient, plus using fingerstick blood sugar testing and insulin shots or a insulin pump, plus a diabetes team to back the patient up, works pretty well (and is very cheap by comparison).

WWQ

Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to Top

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.