Question:

My wife has type II diabetes. She takes insulin twice a day along with her regular prescribed pills. She is very good at monitoring her blood sugar, sometimes 8-10 times a day. The question is, Why does her blood sugar go from a 50 before a meal to 280 two hours later when just the day before she would go from 105 to 115 and nothing in her diet changes?

She is also wanting to have a baby real soon but the doctor says that she will have to get her levels on a more tighter gap. Can you please shed some light on this for me?

Answer:

Blood sugars bounce; that's all there is to it. The bounces depend on interactions between meal composition and rate of eating, recent exercise and activity level, insulin kind and amount and how long since it's been given, insulin administration technique variation, emotional stress level, and a bunch of other things we really don't understand very well. Also, the meter itself, and her technique using it, may be a factor.

All of these issues should be thoroughly reviewed with her diabetes team before conceiving a child. See Family Planning for young women with diabetes for more information about planning for a pregnancy.

Finally, I should add that it's generally considered inappropriate for pregnant women to use diabetes pills as part of their treatment plan; as such, if your wife is on diabetes pills as well as insulin, her program should be rearranged now, before conception, if planning a pregnancy soon.

WWQ