Question:

I really don't know where else to ask this. My daughter (2.5 years old) is intolerant of sugar in more than very small doses. Her pediatrician doesn't seem concerned but recently a friend suggested that she (my daughter) may be glucose intolerant and possibly end up being diagnosed with diabetes. Is this a possibility? We never really exposed her to sweets or sugary foods and don't know if that may be the reason that she can't digest/process it in her system.

Answer:

I don't know what you mean by "sugar intolerance" without more information such as, has a glucose tolerance test been done.

Let's assume that one has and that her daughter has, by definition, impaired glucose tolerance. Only a small percentage of such individuals go on to develop diabetes although this may present much later as Type 2 diabetes. I think you'll have to ask your question of a paediatric endocrinologist.