Question:

From Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA:

My son is 11 years old and has had Type 1 diabetes for 3 years. I'm looking for information on alternative treatments such as acupuncture and herbs to supplement his insulin and nutritional plan because he has such wide glucose swings despite a great diet and caution in his entire plan! Any sources of information would be greatly appreciated.

Answer:

I am not aware of any studies of acupuncture or herbal treatment of diabetes in children. There have been some reports of possible improvement in blood sugar control with Ginseng use in adults with non-insulin dependent diabetes mellitus.

Without properly done studies comparing these treatments to placebo treatments, it is impossible to determine if they have any beneficial (or harmful effects).

[Editor's comment: We have previously answered several questions about alternative therapies. WWQ]