From Michigan, USA:

We have a 5 year old daughter who has been experiencing hypoglycemic episodes since, for sure, June [5 months ago]. We are currently awaiting results for ICA with the DPT Type 1 research study.

Recently, after a morning breakfast, she complained of not feeling well, lying down and saying her arms and legs hurt. I have a monitor, and checked her blood glucose level, and it was 158! I am told this is not normal, especially after a breakfast of cornflakes, no sugar (as we avoid this), and 2% milk. I am concerned that this is the beginning of diabetes for her. Her doctor is concerned, and wants to see her. Am I wrong in assuming that a nondiabetic's pancreas can handle even a high sugar intake, without going this high? She does not eat any sugar, such as candy, or concentrated forms, of any kind.

Home monitors are not accurate enough to differentiate between minimally elevated or decreased blood sugar. The only way to accurately diagnose hyper- or hypoglycemia is to obtain a blood sugar at the time of the the symptoms and send it to a medical laboratory. It is important to make sure the blood specimen is processed properly as the sugar level in a blood specimen may decrease if the specimen is not spun in a centrifuge soon after collection or collected in a tube with a special preservative (fluoride).