Question:

Can anyone out there tell me about the Glucose Tolerance Factor? I read about it in Merck's Manual and have been interested in finding out more. It seems like nothing was done with the information once it was "discovered." What's up?

Answer:

Glucose Tolerance Factor is a complex of chromium and nicotinic acid derived from brewer's yeasts. It was a fashionable research theme about twenty years ago; but was shown to be without benefit in Type 1 Diabetes. It may have a role in diminishing glucose output from the liver; but there are now more effective ways for bringing this about in treating Type 2 Diabetes.

DO'B