Can anyone out there tell me about the Glucose Tolerance Factor? I read about it in Merck's Manual and have been interested in finding out more. It seems like nothing was done with the information once it was "discovered." What's up?

Glucose Tolerance Factor is a complex of chromium and nicotinic acid derived from brewer's yeasts. It was a fashionable research theme about twenty years ago; but was shown to be without benefit in Type 1 Diabetes. It may have a role in diminishing glucose output from the liver; but there are now more effective ways for bringing this about in treating Type 2 Diabetes.