I was having up to 6 lows and passing out daily. Things started to turn around late in the summer and I started having high blood sugar with the lows.

I was sent to an endocrinologist in September [two months ago] who did not seem to worry about them. I had a Glucose Tolerence Test and then last week I got the results and they were unclear to me. He told me that my insulin level was 647 when normal production is 20-180 and that my insulin wasn't being used properly and was excreted too late after I needed it, causing the lows (which I have few now). I am having very high blood sugar right after meals and then I go back to normal levels in 2 hours. I am thirsty and have all the high blood sugar symptoms but, my endo refuses to do anything for me. He also told me that I will most likely turn Type 1. I am slightly overweight and am struggling with a 1750 calorie diet. I was just wondering, what should I do?

I have felt really horrible for three weeks and I don't want to bother him. He hasn't explained anything, doesn't listen, etc. Should I see someone else?

Answer:

Yes.

The syndrome of abnormal blood sugars occurring in a person with a family history of diabetes deserves a more sympathetic approach.

As you've been told, meal planning will be most of the therapy. I'd suggest you see a diabetes dietitian, and learn carb-counting, and how to use your home blood sugar monitoring to analyze your meals to keep the sugar stable. If you have documented high sugars that match appropriate symptoms, and can't control them with meal planning, you would probably benefit from adding diabetes medication.

WWQ