My blood sugar level was 168 fasting when I was diagnosed. I took it upon myself and the advice of other family members who have diabetes to do home monitoring. I checked it after lunch today and it was 102. I am not on a specific diabetic diet. My doctor only told me I had to lose weight, with plenty of exercise. Is there a specific diet for diabetics?

Yes, there are meal plans for diabetes. And every person with diabetes should be aware of them!

Talk your meal plan over with your dietitian (call your local hospital's diabetes nurse educator to get the name of dietitians, if your doc doesn't have a list). The dietitian can develop an individualized meal plan tailored to your needs.

Also, check out Food and Diet.