Question:

From Canada:

Could you give me an explanation as to how a blood glucose monitor works? This is for my science display at school. I am a diabetic, Type 1, since 4 years old. I am now 14.

Answer:

Briefly, the meters rely on either color changes or electical energy changes resulting from glucose in the blood interacting with an enzyme called glucose oxidase which is contained in the strip.

It's hard to describe in simple terms; I suspect the best thing to do would be to call your meter company's 800 phone number for customer support, and ask them for help.

Good luck with your science project. One thing about diabetes, you never run out of projects for science fairs!

WWQ