From Pensacola, Florida, USA:

I have Type 1 diabetes; I am 35 years old. I have been diabetic for 9 years. I have a 8 year old son and a 8 month old baby girl. As in my previous pregnancy, my thyroid went out of whack in this last pregnancy as well.

My last results of testing was .78 on the T4 and 4.65 on the T5 test. My Hemoglobin a1c was 4.9. I have only talked to a nurse on my results but compared to 3 months ago she said this was good, but is it? Is my metabolism slowing down? I still need to lose 20 pounds from the pregnancy. Please help me understand this profile, if you can. My doctor was out of town at the time when I found this information out.

So far, things sounds like they're probably okay, but with the information you provided, it is very difficult to be sure.

First, many thyroid tests have weird names, consisting of the letter T followed by something. Unfortunately, the normal ranges of these tests vary from lab to lab, so we'd have to know the lab's normal range to interpret your data.

Second, you didn't mention the result of a very commonly used thyroid lab test called the TSH (Thyroid Stimulating Hormone), which is a very sensitive indicator of thyroid status.

Also, if you have the sequence of all your lab numbers together with the dates they were done, whether or not you were pregnant at the time of the lab, and whether or not you were taking thyroid pills, it'd make a lot more sense of what's going on.

Altogether, this is a problem that we shouldn't attempt to solve by e-mail, but one that you'll have to work out with your endocrinologist.

We've previously dealt with other thyroid issues relating to diabetes.