Question:

I'm reading a lot about chromium picolate and how it helps diabetics and a diet just full of good wholesome healthy foods; not ready-made foods full of preservatives that kill us or destroy parts of our bodies. Tell me also, have you heard of the book Reversing Diabetes? What do you think about that? My son was diagnosed at 6 1/2 years old. He is now 14. He was diagnosed with Diabetes Mellitus Type 1.

Answer:

You ask a number of questions. Chromium has been the subject of several previous questions, and I would refer you to these. However, as I recall, there is no evidence of benefit to children with diabetes.

I haven't heard of the book that you mention but I suspect that it's targetted at patients with Type 2 (adult onset) diabetes where the disease can be controlled with diet and/or oral medicine. Very often weight loss can help reduce blood sugars. This approach (i.e., without insulin) won't work for your son but you are absolutely right to try to get him to eat plenty healthy wholesome foods rather than a lot of fast food which isn't good for any of us.