I've read your information on Humalog® (Lispro Insulin), and have read the Forecast article called The Wait is Over, and I'm still wondering about comments made by the doctor in the Forecast article about Lispro's similarity to IGF which apparently is dangerous to the heart.

This question was referred to an expert who participated in the clinical studies of Lispro insulin, Dr. Stuart Brink:

I am a pediatric endocrinologist and we just participated in a six center collaborative study with Lispro in prepubertal kids. Nine month study.

We did not ask questions of safety since there is no overlap with IGF-1 receptors. This has now been tested. Pierre DeMeyts, one of the world's experts in this field, is at the Hagedorn Laboratories in Denmark and has told me that this is his opinion also. There was possible concern because of similar chemistry of IGF-1 and insulin. I would think this is a mis-quote from the pediatric endocrinologist but they certainly should get more detailed information from Lilly Labs as well as from Novo-Nordisk labs at the Hagedorn. ISPAD published a superb review by Pierre Demeyts about 1 1/2 years ago from a lecture he gave at the Italian ISPAD Winter Course. Contact Dr. DeMeyts at the Hagedorn for more details of the science and the research findings. John Holcombe at Lilly should also be a resource to contact since there is similar safety information from Indianapolis.

None of the six pediatricians had any concerns scientifically or ethically, and none of the informed consent review committees had problems since the receptor data is quite convincing. I suspect old data is being entertained or misquoted.