Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Questions from Dec 1996

Do you have a question you want to ask to an experienced team of diabetes Health Professionals? The health care professionals of the Diabetes Team lend their many years of experience to answer your questions. Be sure to read the Diabetes Team Disclaimer and the Message from the Diabetes Team. You can review the credentials of our Diabetes Team members by clicking on their names below or on their initials in each answer.

[ Topical Index | Current Questions | Dec 15 | Nov 15 | Oct 15 | Sep 15 | Aug 15 | Jul 15 | More... | Submit Question ]

1. I have recently been diagnosed with diabetes, and feel I am still in a fog on what I should be doing to live with it. (31 Dec 96)

2. I am a 61 year old man who had a typical adult onset of diabetes 3 months ago, with glucose level at 365. But because I am thin I took the ICA test, and it was positive. What is my chance of insulin dependency? In what time period? Is there anything I can do to delay it? (31 Dec 96)

3. My ten year old son has had fluctuating blood sugar levels of 60 to 280 for the last three and a half weeks. He has lost over 10 pounds. He is nauseated when eating or after eating. He has "orange breath." He has extensive family history of diabetes. [His doctors] are completely blowing it off. (31 Dec 96)

4. I am 43 years old, have been diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes for 8 years and for the last year have had high blood pressure as well. Is there any interaction between all my tablets? (31 Dec 96)

5. I was mildly disturbed when our family went to diabetes camp last summer to see that all but two of the young adult diabetics who were counselors were significantly overweight. Was this coincidence, or is it more difficult for a Type 1 diabetic to control his/her weight than a non-diabetic? (31 Dec 96)

6. I would like to know why diabetics often suffer from cold feet. (31 Dec 96)

7. I am looking for information on the benefits of running for the person with Type 1 diabetes. (31 Dec 96)

8. The article on the Insulink design concept caught my interest. I have a neighbor who has been a diabetic for some time and has a sugar level that is extremely variable and hard to control. A non-invasive device that could sound an alarm on detecting a rapid change would, I think, be the answer. (30 Dec 96)

9. My son is 18 years old and was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes at 15. Approximately six months prior to his diagnosis, he was heavy into body building, including weightlifting and taking large quantities of over the counter supplements. Could this have brought on his Type 1 diabetes? (30 Dec 96)

10. My 10 year old son has been having blood sugar levels of 60-280 for the last two weeks (average upon awaking with no food is 135-155 in the morning). Weight loss of 5-6 lbs in the last three weeks. The glycohemoglobin test showed within the normal range. Our family physician is not taking it seriously. Should I find someone who does? (30 Dec 96)

11. What complications of uncontrolled juvenile diabetes occur during puberty? (28 Dec 96)

12. I would like more information on blood sugar monitors. What is the best monitor? (28 Dec 96)

13. I have IDDM. I have three children all of whom are HLA identical. The two eldest already have IDDM. What is the likelihood of my youngest also getting IDDM? (28 Dec 96)

14. I am a school nurse and I have an 11 year old student with Type 1 diabetes since age 4. This year his noon blood sugar readings have run in the high 300 to mid-400 range. I am concerned that these readings run consistently high. Should I be concerned? (28 Dec 96)

15. I understand the first signs of diabetic nephropathy may exhibit from the 5th year after diagnosis. Would you recommend routine use of microalbuminuria testing after the 5th year? Would your recommendations and treatment options be different for a child than an adult? (28 Dec 96)

16. I am a 30 year old male with Type 1 diabetes which I have had for 19 years. I would like to know when is the best time for me to exercise. I'm worried about going low, so should I eat a big meal, and then exercise? (28 Dec 96)

17. My 7 year old daughter was just diagnosed 2 months ago. Her pediatrician suggests trying to keep her glucose levels between 100 and 200 for reasons of avoiding hypoglycemic symptoms. Is there any set rule about proper levels for children? (28 Dec 96)

18. I am interested in food-based approaches to managing blood sugar levels in both types of diabetes. (I am a Type 2.) The DCCT study seems to indicate that tight control is beneficial, but it was only applied to Type 1's. (28 Dec 96)

19. My chid has had diabetes since age 2; she's now 7. We used to see a doctor back home and have since moved. We also had a period of no insurance for this "pre-existing." It's been 3 years since we've gone to the endocrinologist and we both have fears about going. (28 Dec 96)

20. Can the timing of taking a loop diuretic (Demadex) have a profound effect on blood glucose levels? (28 Dec 96)

21. My 11 year old son has heel pain. I purchased heel pads for his shoes (actually rather expensive ones at that). Is this related to neuropathy? (28 Dec 96)

22. I am a 35 year old obese white female. Even though I have a family history of NIDDM (father, diet controlled), IDDM (paternal aunt), IDDM (nephew, juvenile onset), should I be overly concerned? (28 Dec 96)

23. I have a great concern for my brother. He has been diagnosed with diabetes recently, and has lost considerable amount of weight and energy over the past year. I wonder since there is no diabetic diet involved, how long does it take to really see any progress? (24 Dec 96, updated 28 Dec 96)

24. My 17 year old diabetic daughter has no low sugar reactions. Is there anyway to regain the ability to sense low blood sugar before it drops drastically low? (22 Dec 96)

25. In a previous question, you noted that there is no evidence that tight control in young children is required and it is often stated that the microvascular complications of diabetes do not occur in prepubertal children. Is there strong data to support such a statement? (22 Dec 96)

26. My son was diagnosed eight months ago. The problem is that he usually has small amount of ketones in his morning urine. We test even during the night. He doesn't get ketones when the night readings are around 8 mmol (144 mg/dl). I'm 100% sure that he doesn't go low. (22 Dec 96)

27. I work at a daycare center, and we have a 4 year old boy that has diabetes. We have been asked to take his blood sugar reading before lunch and I was wondering what the normal range of readings should be like and what would be considered dangerous? (22 Dec 96)

28. I have a male Miniature Schnauzer that is six years old. After being diagnosed with diabetes, he started to take insulin. What should I do to take best care of Max? (20 Dec 96)

29. Is there any controversy surrounding giving Lispro to a six year old? If so, what is it? (20 Dec 96)

30. What is the probability that a child with two Type 1 diabetic parents will develop diabetes? (20 Dec 96)

31. My daughter is five years old; she has had diabetes for 14 months. When I asked her doctor if lows cause brain damage, he stated that "lows are only an inconvenience." Can you give an answer of how many children have suffered brain damage due to low sugar readings? (18 Dec 96)

32. Is there any information on this type of situation: onset of diabetes (elevated blood sugar) after a major accident and can I correct it? (18 Dec 96)

33. I read that the vitamin inositol is tried to reduce the symptoms of neuropathy. What kind of vitamin is inositol? Could you give me any explanations? (18 Dec 96)

34. Our son is 11 1/2 and has had IDDM for 4 years now. It seems that now as he starts to go into a growth spurt we have a very difficult time with control. What are some ways to assist with tight control during these growth spurts? (18 Dec 96)

35. I have had the dietitian at our hospital put a pack of sugar on the tray to add up to the total ADA calories requested. I have to beg for 3 snacks a day on diabetics in the hospital. Thanks for any help you may have to offer. (18 Dec 96)

36. I have a 15 year old son that is participating in the DPT-1 trials. He may start taking insulin within the next month. My question is once he starts taking insulin will he ever be able to stop? (18 Dec 96)

37. What is hypolipidemia? (18 Dec 96)

38. I am a new grad in nursing and have always had a special interest in diabetes. I am seriously considering the possibility of specializing in diabetes. Can you tell me more about how I might go about this? (18 Dec 96)

39. My daughter wakes up every morning (since diagnosis) with "stomach ache" and has it in evenings as well. She describes it as a full feeling. Not real pain and not nausea (as far as I can tell). It is the first thing that she says as soon as she awakens. Ever heard of this before? (15 Dec 96)

40. Could I get a diet for a 15 year old, very active and compliant, newly diagnosed diabetic? He and his parents have become proficient with the glucometer and shots in 2 days, but the exchanges are overwhelming them. (15 Dec 96)

41. I am a Type 1 diabetic woman diagnosed in 1984 at the age of 22. I am currently on 3 shots a day of Regular and Lente mixed for a total of 50 units. My doctor suggested using Glucophage along with the insulin. Is this a treatment for Type 1's also? (15 Dec 96)

42. In one of your recently answered questions you stated that Humalog® mixed with NPH should be used "shortly." The Lilly company's literature with our bottle of Humalog states "immediately." In measurable time what is shortly or immediately? (14 Dec 96)

43. I subscribe to an online clipping service for diabetes and was wondering what regular medical people in the diabetes field think of Julian Whitaker's work? Is the use of Lipoic Acids helpful just for adults with adult onset diabetes? (14 Dec 96)

44. My 9 year old daughter was recently diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes. I give her 3 shots a day of insulin and she still cries very hard each time. What can I do to help her with the shots and to help her in feeling more positive about herself? (14 Dec 96)

45. My wife has diabetes and suffers terribly from neuropathy pain (nerves are dying). We recently bought a electronic pulse stimulator they claim works in a manner similar to acupuncture. Is this a scam? Is there any evidence to support their claim of relieving pain? (14 Dec 96, updated 19 Dec 96)

46. I want to submit a question about the case of a child of four years old, with Type 1 Diabetes diagnosed since six months. Is there any possibility of reversion? (14 Dec 96)

47. I have heard there is a new drug that has just passed the FDA which will eliminate the need for insulin shots. My child is Type One and 25 months old. Is this new treatment real? (14 Dec 96)

48. A year ago my son had seizures due to an unexpected drop in his blood sugar during the night. I understood that any aftereffects would be temporary, but he lost his math facts and the ability to write in cursive. I was wondering if other children have long term bad effects from seizures? (14 Dec 96)

49. I have a daughter (12) who has been active in girl's softball for six years. I have noticed, several times after she has tested high, that she had been chewing gum (sugarless - 2grams/slice). Does chewing gum have an adverse effect on sugar levels? (14 Dec 96)

50. What kind of combination of food can I eat throughout a day that would allow me to gain 10 pounds? What is the effect of this system of eating on diabetes? (14 Dec 96)

51. I was diagnosed IDD in mid 1996. Am a 55 year old male. Am currently taking 19 units [of Regular] A.M. and P.M. mixed with 5-10 units Ultralente depending on blood glucose readings. Do I need to monitor each time when the amount of Regular varies so little? (14 Dec 96)

52. My daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes last summer. I've read that stress, injury and viruses can lead to diabetes. What caused her to have diabetes? (14 Dec 96)

53. I was curious as to when a non-invasive glucometer would be available, and if you would recommend any that might be available now. (13 Dec 96)

54. I am looking for some organization that ships frozen prepared meals for people with special dietary such as insulin dependent diabetics. Do you know of such an organization? (13 Dec 96)

55. I have Type 1 diabetes and am aware of the many warnings placed on over the counter drugs (such as decongestants). Could you explain what effects the medications have on blood glucose? (13 Dec 96)

56. I have a child that's three who seems to heal very slowly, and I was wondering if I should have him tested for diabetes. His grandfather had diabetes and we have ruled out other infections. (13 Dec 96)

57. What research has been done on Hispanic-Americans who suffer from diabetes? (11 Dec 96)

58. We have an 11 year old daughter with type I diabetes. She started menstruating 4 months ago. Her blood sugars have become very high. What are the side effects of birth control pills to regulate the hormones and can they cause infertility? (11 Dec 96)

59. My four year old daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes 1 1/2 weeks ago. Should we be seeing a nutritionist? (11 Dec 96)

60. I have recently found the clinical term for a problem I have been having for a long time. It is Type 1 diabetes with hypoglycemia. I read about the Zbar but, what are the effects of overconsumption? (9 Dec 96, updated 13 Dec 96)

61. My daughter is only 17 months old. My sister has juvenile onset diabetes. This week the pediatrician found "thrush" or a yeast infection in my daughter's mouth. Thrush is can be a sign of diabetes in toddlers. Should I have her blood tested? If so, would just normal blood sugar test suffice? (9 Dec 96)

62. My daughter, age 3 years and 11 months, is being worked up for diabetes. Her doctor checked her urine and found 2+ sugar and 1+ ketones. Her glycohemoglobin was 6.3%. I hear much about prediabetic conditions. Would she be a candidate for other testing to see if she will develop diabetes? (9 Dec 96)

63. I am 37 years old and I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes 6 months ago. My internist knows little about this disease and he is not willing to admit it. Is it better to see an internist or an endocrinologist? (9 Dec 96)

64. Four months ago I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. I was put on glipizide tablets. Is it possible for diabetes to go away? (7 Dec 96)

65. I was disappointed in lispro (Humalog), because for me it begins to work in two hours (not one hour as stated) and it reaches its peak in four hours. It is not the salvation I was looking for, but then what is? (7 Dec 96)

66. I have been asked to have only clear liquids for a day prior to my surgery. I am not sure how to adjust my doses for the day I'm on liquids only. Any suggestions for clear liquid diet the day prior to surgery and insulin dose adjustments? (7 Dec 96)

67. I have a 16 year old girldfriend with type I diabetes. We have been sexually active for a while now and have had to worry about her getting pregnant. I'd like to know about the effects on her becoming pregnant and if she could take the "pill" or not. (7 Dec 96)

68. My 12-year-old daughter was diagnosed 3 months ago with Type 1. We seem to be going in circles trying to balance her blood sugar level. She takes huge swings sometimes going from 50 to 400 in one day. Any ideas? (7 Dec 96)

69. Where can I get a diabetic ID card that will ID me as a diabetic in case of hypoglycemia. I've looked far and wide but can't find one. I do not want a bracelet. (5 Dec 96)

70. I have been trying to do some research on the internet in regard to the new insulin lispro (Humalog) and pregnancy. The only mention I could find said that Humalog had not been tested during pregnancy. Do you know of any reason why its use would or would not be suggested during pregnancy? (5 Dec 96)

71. I am 34 years old, with Type 1 diabetes, diagnosed 21 years ago. I currently use an insulin infusion pump and have done so for the past 12 years. Recently a lab test for urea tested above the normal limit. What could this mean? (3 Dec 96)

72. Our daughter mistakenly got the wrong insulin over 1 1/4 years ago. She developed hives and after about three weeks she realized the problem. The hives have persisted and only leave her if she takes a strong antihistamine. Any tips? (3 Dec 96)

73. My 17 year old daughter, diagnosed at age 6, has been having burning when she urinates occasionally during last couple of weeks. She does not have a bacterial infection, but they put her on Septra. She has 2 more days of antibiotic left. Any suggestions? (3 Dec 96)

74. What kinds of meal (foods that are rich in protein, fat or carbohydrates) is recommended to prevent high blood glucose in the morning or at 3 A.M. or 4 A.M.? I understand the high sugar is due to the liver's release of glucose into the blood when asleep. Why does it do so? (3 Dec 96)

75. My 18 year old son was diagnosed with two problems simultaneously three months ago: Type 1 diabetes and UPJ obstruction. It seems unlikely that two relatively rare events would occur at the same time. Could the obstruction have hastened the clinical onset of diabetes? (3 Dec 96)

76. My 10-year-old daughter has been ill for 3 days with fever, sore throat and cough. We have been fighting ketones on and off for 3 days. What is this doing to her body even though the ketones come and go? Are they doing damage to her? (3 Dec 96)

77. I am concerned that my girlfriend may have diabetes. She always get the shakes and feels nauseated when she doesn't eat. She sleeps excessively and drinks a very heavy amount of liquids. Are these symptoms? If they are, is there a place where she can get tested for free or at a low cost? (3 Dec 96)

78. My wife (age 37) has been Type 1 diabetic for 13 years. Unfortunately, her glucose levels fluctuate widely. Are there any known mental or emotional effects from diabetes or continued low blood sugars that are caused by physical changes to the brain? (3 Dec 96)

79. I have had Type 1 diabetes for just over 1 1/2 years. I have been experiencing the feeling of being low but when I check my sugar it is high; why is this? (3 Dec 96)

80. My son is 7, diagnosed at age 2. He is on 20 units of NPH in the morning and 2 NPH at night, but most of the time at night I worry about him having a hypoglycemia attack because in the morning his sugars are in low range meaning 40 to 65. Could you please give advice? (3 Dec 96, updated 7 Dec 96)

81. Is there any validity in the use of gymnema sylrestre tea to help balance sugar levels in Type 2 diabetes? I see this advertised extensively on the Internet. (3 Dec 96)

82. My husband was just recently diagnosed with diabetes. Can you please give me some pointers on choosing a glucose monitor (best quality, best buy for the money, and anything else I need to be aware of)? (2 Dec 96)

83. My 2.5-year-old nephew has had diabetes for 8 months now. His blood sugar values have not stabilized even though various insulin brands and doses have been tried. Could they try insulin tablets instead of shots? (2 Dec 96)

84. What can be done if the glycosylated hemoglobin values are high in 14-year-old Type 1 diabetic? Is it wise to increase the insulin dosage? (2 Dec 96)

85. Our 14-year-old daughter was diagnosed 2 1/2 years ago. Her endocrinologist switched her to Ultralente and Humalog at breakfast, Humalog at lunch, and NPH and Humalog at dinner (5 shots!). Is it okay to mix the 2 morning insulins and the 2 evening insulins (3 shots total)? (2 Dec 96)

86. My daughter is 6 and has been diagnosed Type 1 since the age of three at the same time diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Is this normal? Additionally, she still is not under control. Should I be concerned? (2 Dec 96)

87. My girlfriend has had insulin dependent diabetes since around twelve years of age. She takes her insulin as required but takes no interest in monitoring herself or taking any care of what she eats, drinks, or does in general. Is anything I can do to help her or change her thinking about helping herself? (2 Dec 96)

88. My 4-year-old granddaughter has been tested and proven positive that she has hypoglycemia. Is she is at high-risk for diabetes and is there anything that can be done to prevent it? (2 Dec 96)

89. My son is 3 years old, recently diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. I understand that Type 1 diabetes is much more common in the northern latitudes. If our other children have "high risk" haplotypes on genetic testing, is there any evidence to suggest that their risk of developing diabetes would diminish if we moved south? (2 Dec 96)

90. Our son is 3, diagnosed February, 1996, Type 1. He has been suffering from night terrors, and as far as we can remember, they have only been since diagnosis. Would you suspect they are related, or is this a normal 3 year old thing? Should we be checking his blood glucose when this happens? (2 Dec 96)

91. Can you tell me if slow healing in a child is a symptom of diabetes? Also, excessive sweating, especially at night. I have a three year old in my care that has been getting sores on his face that take months to heal. (2 Dec 96)

92. My niece, age 28 months, was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes at age 21 months. Recently she was switched over to the Novopen. The Novolin brand of insulin controls her diabetes much better than the Humulin brand. Why would the Novolin N provide better control than the Humulin N? (2 Dec 96)

93. I have a 15 year old son that is participating in the DPT-1 trials. He is in the upper arm of the study. He may start taking insulin within the next month. Once he starts taking insulin will he ever be able to stop? Also will the insulin tell the pancreas to stop producing insulin altogether? (2 Dec 96)

94. I have a 17 year old son who has Type 1 diabetes. Now my 15 year old nephew has been diagnosed. We were told this condition is not inherited. Is this true? My sister (his mother) also gets gestational diabetes. Does this mean anything? My dad has Type 2 diabetes. (2 Dec 96)

95. My daughter is 16 years old. She has Type 1 diabetes. I read the reader's comments about Vocational Rehabilitation paying for education. Would anyone have more info on this? Do you have to have other complications to qualify or just be Type 1? (2 Dec 96)

The Diabetes Team

Bill Jones, MD (Specialist in the management of diabetes during pregnancy, member since April 1997)
Marco Songini, MD (Italy) (Pediatric, adolescent, and adult endocrinologist and diabetologist, member since April 1997)
Larry Deeb, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since July 1998)
John Schulga, MBChB MRCGP MRCP FRCPCH (UK) (Consultant Paediatrician in childhood and adolescent diabetes and endocrinology, member since July 1999)
Stuart Brink, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 1999)
Matthew Brown, MD (Pediatrician and a Pediatric Diabetologist, member since January 2000)
Jim Lane, MD (Adult Endocrinologist, member since November 2000)
David Schwartz, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since May 2001)
Andrea Scaramuzza, MD (Italy) (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 2003)
Fran Kaufman, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since August 2006)
Linda DiMeglio, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist)

Barb Schreiner, RN, MPH, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist, member since July 2002)
Jane Seley, RN, GNP, MPH, MSN, CDE, CHES (Diabetes Nurse Practitioner, member since August 2002)
Joe Solowiejczyk, RN, MSW (Family Therapist, member since April 2010)
Linda Mackowiak, RN, MS, FNP, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist)

Jill Weissberg-Benchell, PhD (Medical Psychology and Psychiatry, member since January 2000)

James Michael Schurig, MS, RD, LD, CDE (Dietitian, member since December 2000)

Exercise Physiologists
Rick Philbin, M.Ed., A.T.C., C.S.C.S (Sports Medicine, member since July 2004)

Lois Schmidt Finney, RD, MPH, CDE (DPT-1 Research Coordinator, member since July 1998)
Heather Speer, MPH, CCRC, CDE (Clinical Diabetes Research and Education Coordinator, member since July 1998)

Social Workers
Debbie Butler, CDE, MSW, LICSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker, member since October 2004)

And Our Occasional Experts