Question:

From Oregon, USA:

Can you tell me if slow healing in a child is a symptom of diabetes? Also, excessive sweating, especially at night. I have a three year old in my care that has been getting sores on his face that take months to heal. Thanks for any input.

Answer:

The onset of overt symptoms of diabetes in a 3 year old occurs fairly abruptly. Although it is true that sores heal slowly when the blood sugar is high and poorly healing sores may be a sign of asymptomatic high blood sugars in an older individual, it would be unlikely that a 3 year old would have high blood sugars with only slow healing as the only sign for 3 months.

I would recommend suggesting to his mother that he consult his pediatrician regarding these sores.

Excessive sweating at night is not a symptom of diabetes.