From Finland:

My 2.5-year-old nephew has had diabetes for 8 months now. His blood sugar values have not stabilized even though various insulin brands and doses have been tried. He has been hospitalized several times, but that hasn't brought any improvement to his situation. Right now he's in hospital again (in Norway where my sister lives), because his blood sugar has been very high for almost two weeks.

The question my sister would like to ask you is: Could they try insulin tablets instead of shots? In Norway, they are not willing to let her son try them, but she thinks there's nothing to lose, as her son seems to suffer quite badly, anyway. What do you think? Is there a possibility that the tablets might work better than the shots? Have they been tried in the USA with children?

No, it's not possible to treat this kind of diabetes with tablets because the fundamental problem is lack of insulin. Unfortunately, if you give insulin by mouth (which has been tried) the acid in the stomach destroys it and there's no effect. This type of diabetes never turns into the kind that older people often get, that can be controlled with tablets or even just diet.