I am concerned that my girlfriend may have diabetes. She always get the shakes and feels nauseated when she doesn't eat. She sleeps excessively and drinks a very heavy amount of liquids. Are these symptoms? If they are, is there a place where she can get tested for free or at a low cost?

It is possible that your girlfriend gets hypoglycemic, which is a way that Type 1 Diabetes can sometimes present, particularly in young adults. To exclude this, she should have at least a fasting blood sugar done; but it also sounds as though she needs a general health evaluation.

If she does not have insurance, then you should call the State or the City Public Health Department and ask for the nearest facility that can take care of her. It is likely to be a University Hospital or a Neighborhood Health Clinic. As back-up, you should also get in touch with the nearest office of the American Diabetes Association. To help the clinic it would make sense for your friend to go without food intake for three hours before having a blood sample drawn.