From Spartanburg, South Carolina, USA:

My 10-year-old daughter has been ill for 3 days with fever, sore throat and cough. We have been fighting ketones on and off for 3 days. She has had lab work done and everything has come back normal. What is this doing to her body even though the ketones come and go? Are they doing damage to her?

You do not tell us whether your daughter is diabetic or not. Since she was tested for ketones I assume she is, in which case a short period of relatively mild ketosis does not seem to do any lasting harm. Just the same, the best possible control all the time is important. If she is not diabetic, then you should be aware that many children show ketones in their urine when they have an acute illness, a diminished appetite and start to metabolise fat stores.