Question:

From Turkey:

What kinds of meal (foods that are rich in protein, fat or carbohydrates) is recommended to prevent high blood glucose in the morning or at 3 A.M. or 4 A.M.?

I understand the high sugar is due to the liver's release of glucose into the blood when asleep. Why does it do so?

Answer:

There are no foods that I know of which will specifically prevent high blood glucose levels at 3-4 A.M. If too large of a snack is eaten, for example lots of carbohydrate, protein and/or fat, the blood glucose levels may remain elevated at that time. However, what is known as the Dawn Phenomenon, an insulin resistance of sorts caused by hormones that are released in the body at this time, is most likely the cause of the elevated blood glucose levels in the early morning.

MH