Question:

From California, USA:

My 17 year old daughter, diagnosed at age 6, has been having burning when she urinates--not frequently, but occasionally during last couple of weeks. She does not have a bacterial infection, but they put her on Septra [an antibiotic frequently used for urinary tract infections]. Her glucose, which had been high, has come down to 200, but she has ketones now and feels very weak, I'm suspecting she's a little dehydrated. She has 2 more days of antibiotic left. Any suggestions?

Answer:

It sounds as if your daughter had some kind of infection even if it wasn't a urine infection. I think the most important aspects of dealing with diabetes during sick days is to do plenty of extra blood sugars and give extra doses of insulin if necessary. Your diabetes team will help you with how much to give. The pain on passing urine could be due to thrush, which is much more common if sugars are running high.