Question:

From British Columbia, Canada:

I am 34 years old, with Type 1 diabetes, diagnosed 21 years ago. I currently use an insulin infusion pump and have done so for the past 12 years. Recently a lab test for urea tested above the normal limit. What could this mean?

Answer:

Whether or not this is significant depends upon how high your urea was. Mildly elevated values can simply be a sign of mild dehydration. Much more important is another value (always measured at the same time): creatinine. You need to ask your doctor whether he/she thinks the level was important.