I have been asked to have only clear liquids for a day prior to my surgery. Also, I am going to be drinking Golytely solution, which, it is my understanding cleans the bowels, but makes you have diarrhea all day. This is from 8 a.m. to noon the day before. I am quite concerned with insulin adjustments, and, my endo is not giving me any help or suggestions.

I am not sure how to adjust my doses for the day I'm on liquids only. The anesthesiologist suggested that I keep the same doses for surgery as the day I am on clear liquids. Hopefully there will not be too much trouble with lows. Would your recommendation be to lower my doses?

Any suggestions for clear liquid diet the day prior to surgery and insulin dose adjustments?

Yes, you will need to adjust your insulin doses while on clear liquids. For starters:

• Plan to check at least four blood sugars, preferably a lot more, on the day you'll be on liquids. (It'd be best to check both before and after your "meals.")
  • Plan to check hourly on the morning of surgery.
  • "Clear liquids" in this case does not mean non-caloric. Stuff yourself with clear fruit juices (such as apple juice), sugar-containing jello, and other caloric liquids to keep your sugar from crashing.
  • Cut your doses back a bit; you can always give extra boluses of Regular (or Lispro) if you're high.
  • Plan to call your endocrinologist during the day (or night) if problems. He/she should have 24-hour coverage available to help if you get into an unexpected mess.

If your endocrinologist isn't available to help you with this very simple problem: you need a new endocrinologist!