Question:

From Baltimore, Maryland, USA:

I was disappointed in lispro (Humalog), because for me it begins to work in two hours (not one hour as stated) and it reaches its peak in four hours. I will try to adjust my shots and continue working with it. It is not the salvation I was looking for, but then what is?

Answer:

I have also found that lispro insulin (Humalog) doesn't work as fast as advertised in some patients (I'm not surprised given the wide range of action of other insulins). I find that this is often the case in people whose other insulins last longer than average. For instance, their Regular may be lasting up to 16 hours as reported by Lilly (and is my clinical impression). If you try to substitute an insulin that peaks in 4 hours for one that peaks in 6 to 10 hours, you may have to rearrange your other insulins considerably. This is very different from substituting an insulin that peaks in 1 -2 hours for one that peaks in 3-4 hours.

I also have not found Humalog to be a "salvation." It is another option to chose from if you need an insulin that works faster than the ones we previously had.