Question:

From Pennsylvania, USA:

Four months ago I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. I was put on glipizide tablets [a form of oral diabetes medication in the sulfonylurea class; brand name Glucotrol]. After about a month of taking these, I noticed my blood sugar would go too low. I stopped taking these and for the last 3 months have had normal blood sugar and feel great (like I used to). Is it possible for diabetes to go away? Is there any cases like this known? I welcome e-mail from anyone that can shed some light on this.

Doing better now (thetallker@webtv.net)

Answer:

Sorry, but your diabetes hasn't gone away. You should be proud, however, to realize that you've put your diabetes into remission. Presumably, your remission is related to changes in your meal plan, activity level, and lifestyle, that are now able to control your blood sugar level without medications.

This sort of remission in Type 2 diabetes is very common, if the person with diabetes is willing to work hard on blood sugar control. The remission may last for years, but you'll always be subject to having elevated blood sugars again in times of overeating, inactivity, or stress.

In Type 1 diabetes, there's a somewhat similar remission called the "honeymoon" phase. However, it's slightly different in how and why it occurs, and how long it might last.

WWQ