Question:

From New York, USA:

I am 37 years old and I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes 6 months ago. The problem I have now is who is the best physician in treating diabetes because my condition is not improving. Presently, it seems to me that my internist knows little about this disease and he is not willing to admit it. Is it better to see an internist or an endocrinologist?

Answer:

I'm obviously very biased, but I strongly feel an endocrinologist or pediatric endocrinologist (who loves diabetes, not one who merely tolerates it) is the best choice for everyone with diabetes; it's hard to keep up to date with everything, even in a relatively well-defined field like diabetology. It's the specialists in every area who are on the forefront of the latest therapies, and the information diffuses out to the general internists and other physicians slowly.

How do you figure out if an endocrinologist loves diabetes? Easy: ask them, or ask their diabetes nurse; if they love diabetes, they'll tell you; if they don't, they'll hem and haw. (If you're shy about asking, ask them to send you copies of their patient information packet, and look it over.)

Also, see a previous question and Finding a New Diabetes Doctor when you move.

WWQ