Question:

My daughter is only 17 months old. My sister has juvenile onset diabetes. She got it when she was 8 years old; she now is 31.

This week the pediatrician found "thrush" or a yeast infection in my daughter's mouth. This may have been brought on by some antibiotic, but she only had 1 dose of this. Thrush is common in infants, but can be a sign of diabetes in toddlers. I am also noticing that my daughters breath has a strong smell. Could this be from the infection? Should I have her blood tested? If so, would just normal blood sugar test suffice? She is also very, very cranky at night; what are the symptoms of diabetes in an 17 month old? Please help me to know what I should look for.

Answer:

You are correct that Thrush is common in young children and does not usually signify diabetes. The smell may be related to the infection. The classical symptoms of diabetes are excessive drinking, excessive urination and weight loss. The simplest test is a urine sugar test. If you are worried, it is a very simple matter to exclude diabetes - and it doesn't sound likely. Speak to your doctor.