Question:

I have recently found the clinical term for a problem I have been having for a long time. It is Type 1 diabetes with hypoglycemia. If I allow myself, I can eat 2 boxes of uncooked cornstarch a day! I gain weight like you would not believe. I read about the Zbar but, what are the effects of overconsumption?

Answer:

All Type 1 diabetes can result in hypoglycemia. In fact, it is difficult to avoid hypoglycemia even in well-managed diabetes. I would not recommend eating more than the 2-4 tablespoons of cornstarch that may be in one to two Zbars or NiteBites. The reason this product may help reduce the risk of hypoglycemia is that uncooked cornstarch is not completely broken down by the body (or is broken down very slowly).

At any rate, the accumulation of this carbohydrate in your system cannot be good and will not entirely prevent hypoglycemia or weight gain. Please consult a Registered Dietitian to assist you in developing a meal plan that is suitable for diabetes (and weight loss if necessary).

MH

Additional Comment by Dr. Lebinger:

The reason this product may help reduce the risk of hypoglycemia is that uncooked cornstarch is broken down more slowly in the body than other sources of carbohydrate. It provides a "slow release" form of sugar, so to speak.

Additional comment added 13 Dec 96