Question:

From Kansas, USA:

We have an 11 year old daughter with type I diabetes and migraine headaches. She is on 4 shots a day of Humalog and NPH. She started menstruating 4 months ago. Her blood sugars have become very high. What are the side effects of birth control pills to regulate the hormones and can they cause infertility?

Answer:

It is normal for the first few menstrual periods to be rather irregular and they will gradually settle down. It is also common for blood sugars to be adversely influenced in either direction. Some girls have to adjust their insulin accordingly. I would not rush to put your daughter on the contraceptive pill although this would be safe. Discuss your concerns with your diabetes team.

Additional Comment by Dr. Lebinger

Although birth control pills can usually be used safely in individuals with diabetes, there are some risks of birth control pill use both for women with and without diabetes. There is some evidence to suggest that women with diabetes may have a slighter greater risk of complications from birth control pills than women without diabetes.