Question:

From Oregon, USA:

I have a child that's three who seems to heal very slowly, and I was wondering if I should have him tested for diabetes. His grandfather had diabetes and we have ruled out other infections.

Answer:

I do not think that it is necessary to do additional tests for diabetes on your three year old on the basis of 'slow to heal' unless he has some additional symptoms like loss of weight, drinking a lot, or increased urination.

If you are still worried about the possibility you could talk to your son's pediatrician at the next visit about getting a fasting blood sugar measured and you could also discuss the possibility of getting an antibody test done.

DO'B