My daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes last summer. She had an ongoing virus for 3 months in the spring of '95. She was weak, feverish, missed 3 weeks of school, loss weight and threw up a few times. Then in spring of '96 she was hit by a token machine on her head and caused her to have 15 stitches. Everything went downhill from there. I asked the hospital staff, family practice, endocrinologist, and diabetes educators to tell me what was the cause of her diabetes. I get all different answers. I've read that stress, injury and viruses can lead to diabetes. What caused her to have diabetes?

We don't know the cause of diabetes except to say that, in those with a particular collection of genes, certain environmental insults can trigger the process leading to clinical diabetes. This gobbledegook means that there are probably a number of factors that can start the process and they include viruses and possibly certain things that we eat.

We also know, that in the majority of cases, the process of inexorable progress towards diabetes begins a considerable time (measured in years) before the disease state is apparent. It is possible that the virus infection that your daughter had a year ago may have been involved. At the end of the line, the appearance of clinical symptoms is often related to some stress such as an infection and I like to think of this merely as the "straw that broke the camel's back." Such stresses demand more insulin from the pancreas and it simply can't cope.