From Virginia, USA:

I have a daughter (12) who has been active in girl's softball for six years. Two years ago, following a weekend tournament she was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes. She has been doing well, very well considering tournament and game schedules. But recently her numbers have climb over 250 and even 300. While we are in a period of low activity, between seasons, which is a contributing factor. I have noticed, several times after she has tested high, that she had been chewing gum (sugarless - 2grams/slice). Does chewing gum have an adverse effect on sugar levels?

No! Sugar-free gum will not affect blood sugars but inactivity and puberty will. All the children in our clinic have worse control over the winter. Puberty is a potent cause of high blood sugars because of the hormones (e.g., growth hormone and estrogens) that are flying around. Talk to your diabetes team about appropriate increases in insulin.