From the state of Washington, USA:

I subscribe to an online clipping service for diabetes (my 13 year old son developed juvenile diabetes when he was 7) and was wondering what regular medical people in the diabetes field think of Julian Whitaker's work? Is the use of Lipoic Acids helpful (if it is helpful) just for adults with adult onset diabetes?

Some of the parents at our holiday party this weekend were discussing alternative health suggestions family and friends have made since our children were diagnosed; most of them show how little the general population knows about diabetes in general and childhood onset diabetes in particular.

I will come clean and say that I have an instinctive scepticism about alternative therapies. This is largely because very few have been subjected to rigorous scientific appraisal. However, if the intervention does no harm then I have no objections. I have no knowledge about lipoic acid being of any proven benefit in diabetes although there is some work showing effects of other fatty acids upon nerve problems in diabetes. Some studies are underway but it is too early to make any dietary recommendations.