From America OnLine:

I am a Type 1 diabetic woman diagnosed in 1984 at the age of 22. I am currently on 3 shots a day of Regular and Lente mixed for a total of 50 units. My doctor suggested using Glucophage [metformin] along with the insulin to reduce the amount of insulin and possibly eliminate 1 or 2 of the shots. I have only heard of Glucophage for Type 2 diabetics. Is this a treatment for Type 1's also?

Not exactly.

Although Glucophage (metformin) is "officially" advised for Type 2 diabetes, it does have favorable effects on insulin resistance, and I tend to look at anybody with insulin resistance as perhaps able to benefit from using this medication.

Also, since most patients with presumed Type 1 diabetes haven't actually haven't had antibody measurements, it's sometimes really difficult to be sure if they truly have Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes or not; they might (conceivably) have early-age-of-onset Type 2 diabetes. Hence, I'm frequently willing to consider using oral agents in people with relatively high insulin requirements, even if they apparently have Type 1 diabetes.