I am a new grad in nursing (May 1996 [7 months ago]) and have always had a special interest in diabetes. Currently, I am working on a med/surg unit and learning the ropes, you might say. Eventually, I'd like to go to grad school and specialize in an area. When I do this, I am seriously considering the possibility of specializing in diabetes. At this time, I personally do not know any nurses with this specialty (although I know there are many). Can you tell me more about how I might go about this?

Call the American Association of Diabetes Educators in Chicago (1-800-338-DMED in the U.S.) and ask them for more information, especially for the contact names at the nearest chapter of AADE.

Hopefully, the libraries at schools of nursing should have copies of AADE's journal, The Diabetes Educator, as well as a copy of the AADE directory, which lists names of all of their members, and has chapter information.

And look at AADEnet, AADE's website, for more information.