From Georgia, USA:

I have had the dietitian at our hospital put a pack of sugar on the tray to add up to the total ADA calories requested. The dietary department told the patient Monday night the most they had was a 2400 calorie diet.

I didn't talk to the dietitian this time. I have to beg for 3 snacks a day on diabetics in the hospital. I'm sure I could talk to the endocrinologist whenever I need to. I just thought I would try out the "net." Thanks for any help you may have to offer.

It sounds like the doctors need to have a conference with their dietary staff. Although a sugar packet may not be necessary to be added to fit a specific calorie level, more food should be available if needed. Certainly, a 2,400 calorie diet would be insufficient for an active boy or someone with substantial weight loss prior to diagnosis.

Sometimes our doctors will not specify an ADA diet for people with diabetes when hospitalized so the patient is allowed to eat what they need to in order to gain back an appropriate amount of weight. Education then is done on an outpatient basis.